- 2,270: number of constituent cases and requests for assistance we’ve opened and worked on since January 4th. This includes assisting with various state agencies or programs, policy or budget testimony we’ve placed on record, support letters for local initiatives, and more.
- 8: number of bills I’ve sponsored
- 83: number of bills I’ve co-sponsored
- 102: number of emails/calls/letters I’ve received on constituent budget priorities
- 1,376: number of emails/calls/letters I’ve received from constituents on pending bills they support or oppose
February 16, 2017
HINDS NAMED SENATE CHAIR OF TOURISM COMMITTEE;
VICE CHAIR OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT & EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES
BOSTON – State Senator Adam G. Hinds (D- Pittsfield) announces today that he has been named Senate chair of the Joint Committee on Tourism, Arts and Cultural Development, as well as Senate vice-chair of the Joint Committee on Economic Development and Emerging Technologies.
Hinds said, “These Committees are critical for building our economy and creating jobs. Attracting more people to the region means doubling down on tourism, culture and economic development. In this role I will be focused on strengthening existing businesses, attracting others, and increasing incomes for working families.”
The Joint Committee on Tourism has jurisdiction over all legislation concerning tourism, arts and cultural development in the Commonwealth. Senator Julian Cyr (D- Truro) will serve as Hinds’ vice-chair.
The economic power of tourism is evident throughout Hinds’ district. According to 1Berkshire, the countywide organization focused on economic development and promotion of the region as a preferred place to visit, live and grow a business, spending in Berkshire County by visitors has increased by more than 25% in five years, equaling more than $453 million. Statewide, tourism is recognized as the #3 industry in Massachusetts, accounting for 135,000 jobs, $1.3 billion in annual tax revenue and $20.2 billion in direct spending.
“We're very pleased to hear about these committee assignments for our new State Senator. It will be significant for our region to have this influential voice helping steer policy and funding within these economic areas that are so critical to the Berkshires and western Mass,” said Jonathan Butler, President & CEO, 1Berkshire.Read more
January 4, 2017
SENATOR HINDS ASSUMES OFFICE
BOSTON – Today State Senator Adam G. Hinds (D- Pittsfield) joined his colleagues in the historic Senate Chamber on Beacon Hill to take the Oath of Office and begin serving as State Senator of the Berkshire, Hampshire, Franklin and Hampden District.Read more